Swing Low, Sweet Chariot: RFU will not ban song but will educate fans on song's history

RAGING Tartan Army fans missed out on their Scotland idols’ biggest win in years after pubs closed before last night’s Euros clash with Israel ended.

Bar owners across the country, sticking to the strict 10pm Covid curfew, had to turf punters out onto the street as a penalty shootout at Hampden was taking place.

Steve Clarke’s men won the late night drama after extra time and spot kicks to clinch their place in a final showdown with Serbia next month.

But the crucial game didn’t finish until after last orders had been long called.

Tartan Army footsoldier Graham Wilson, 39, of Kirkintilloch, said: “What a way to miss a great win, we played rubbish but it would have been nice to see it happen. 

“First we’re locked out of Hampden and then out of the pub, we can’t win.”

Scotland fan Calum Johnson spoke of his “surreal experience” at having to watching his side “win a penalty shootout through a pub window” after being moved on from his local.

Another Scot seeing the lighter side, Bruce MacGregor, said: “After being dumped out of the pub during extra time, I could only think it was at last true to be part of Dancing In The Streets… of Scotland.”

But disgruntled Anna Murray tweeted:  “2020 the year that Scotland fans had something to celebrate but got chucked out the pub before they could.”

Another footie fan said: “We were drinking in a pub in Glasgow and last orders were called at 9.30pm.

“We asked the staff if we could sit and watch the end of the game but we were told no, even though we’d stopped drinking.”

And when Nicola Sturgeon took to Twitter to share her joy, joking that the win was “never in doubt”, dozens replied with their angst at being ousted from bars before the shootout.

One user said: “Missed the end of the game as we were thrown out of the pub!”

Another added: “I got chucked out the pub and missed the finish as I had to walk home. Hope you are happy.”

A third said: “Good to hear we won. Unfortunately we had 2 leave an eerily silent but well managed Aberdeen pub at 21.59.”

Original article 08.10.20 on the Scottish Sun website.

To view the original article click here

© The Fan Experience Company 2020